Thursday, 31 May 2012
STAFF from Cardiff and Vale University Health Board are planning events to mark the Jubilee and are offering health advice ahead of the long bank holiday weekend.
Across the Health Board staff have gone to the time and trouble to try and add a touch of the Jubilee to those being cared for during the celebrations.
Paul Hollard, Interim Chief Executive for the UHB, said he was pleased that some staff were going the extra mile for patients and issued advice for those having to access health services over the next few days.
He said: “I understand that some staff are bringing in cakes and generally trying to lift spirits for those they are caring for over the Jubilee weekend.
“I am sure that patients and their colleagues will appreciate their going the extra mile to try and create some of that Jubilee spirit.”
Sister Sue Owadally at the Day Hospital at University Hospital Llandough said staff had been putting on activities throughout the week.
She said: “We thought we would have a celebration each day this week as we’ve different people with us each day. We’ve been reminiscing about where they were for the first coronation.
“It has been quite nice and the patients have really enjoyed it.”
Mr Hollard added that he hoped people would make appropriate use of health services at the weekend and offered advice to the public.
- Making sure you have repeat prescriptions ready if you need them.
- Check the UHB’s website for updates on services like pharmacy opening times.
- If you need to speak to your doctor ring your GP surgery – if they are unavailable you will be given details for the Out of Hours service.
- If you need urgent dental care ring the new 24 Hour Dental Helpline on 02920 444 500.
- Details on how to access sexual health advice or contraception is available through the UHB’s website.
Mr Hollard said: “We hope everyone enjoys the bank holiday. If you do need to access health services keep in mind the Welsh Government’s Choose Well campaign and use the most appropriate service and contact NHS Direct on 0845 46 47 if you are unsure which service you need.”