CSSIW’s role is to make professional assessments and judgements about social care, early years and social services and so encourage improvement by service providers.
They do this through three regions which cover across Wales (North, South East and West) which are the focus for professional assessment and judgement about services and organisations. The contact details for these offices are available on the CSSIW website.
They inspect and review local authority social services, and regulate and inspect care settings and agencies.
- Care homes for adults – including care homes which provide nursing care
- Domiciliary care agencies
- Adult placement schemes
- Nurses' agencies
- Children’s homes
- Day care services for children – childminders, full day care, sessional day care, out of school care, crèches and open access play
- Public sector and independent fostering agencies
- Public sector and voluntary adoption agencies
- Boarding schools, residential special schools and further education colleges which accommodate students under 18
- Residential family centres
- Inspection – they inspect those services and publish reports
- Complaints – they investigate and deal with complaints (if they cannot be dealt with by the providers’ own complaints procedures)
- Compliance – they support compliance with the regulations, and
- Enforcement – they take enforcement action to make sure that the requirements of the Care Standards Act and its associated regulations are met
They publish reports the findings of their assessments which are available on the publications section of their website at www.cssiw.org.uk.
The address of the South East Wales office is:
Telephone: 0300 062 8888
Fax: 0300 062 8548
Information on National Care Standards, specific care homes, including their registration status and copies of inspection reports can be obtained from the address above.
If you have any concerns or issues relating to a registered care home please contact either CSSIW or:
Divisional Nurse – Primary, Community and Intermediate Care
and Cardiff Vale University Health Board
Tel: 029 2055 2212
Tel: 029 2055 2212
Additional information on most registered nursing homes in the
can be found on the Bettercaring website at www.bettercaring.co.uk. UK