What Support is available in Cardiff and the Vale
If you need urgent help
You can ring the UHW Midwifery Led Unit on 029 2074 5030 (or 029 2074 5196 24 hours a day), or the Vale Community Midwives on 029 2035 0622 (daytime only).
- Breastfeeding clinics are run by qualified infant feeding advisors for mothers who are experiencing breast feeding problems.
- Health visitor breastfeeding groups are run by experienced health visitors and can be used for problem solving or to meet other breastfeeding mums.
- Peer support groups are run by mothers who have been trained by Lactation Consultants to provide breastfeeding support. The groups have speakers on a regular basis e.g. baby massage, baby yoga, dental hygienist, etc.
- Community Maternity Care Assistants support the Community Midwifery Teams following a mother's discharge from hospital. They can supplement postnatal midwifery visits if a mum had breastfeeding problems up to 28 days after the birth.
Where to go for help
Breastfeeding and peer support groups are available. Find out where and when these take place on our bilingual Breastfeeding Support Poster.
Tongue Tie Division Service (Frenulotomy)
The Tongue Tie Division Service is for breastfeeding babies with breastfeeding challenges due to tongue tie. Each Friday morning appointments are available for this service on First Floor Maternity. Bookings can be made following assessment by a midwife, MCA, GP or health visitor.
You will find a range of useful information leaflets about breastfeeding in the Resources section.
- Midwifery Led Unit, UHW: 029 2074 5030
- National Breastfeeding Helpline: 0300 100 0212
- The Breastfeeding Network Supporterline: 0300 100 0210 (www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk)
- National Childbirth Trust: 0300 330 0771
- Association of Breastfeeding Mothers: 08444 122 949 (www.abm.me.uk)
- Breastfeeding Support in Bengali / Sylhetti: 0300 456 2421
- Breastfeeding Support in Tamil, Telugu and Hindi: 07501 466 817
- La Leche League: 0845 120 2918
If you have any queries regarding this information, you can contact Breastfeeding Co-ordinator via the MLU on the numbers given above.